Whether you get your holiday cheer from singing loud for all to hear or from wrapping mountains for presents, we can all agree that nothing screams “Jingle Bells” like egg nog. We’ve taken the original version and given it a healthy twist, so you can drink more nog, eat more cookies and sing more Christmas carols with a lot less guilt.
3 cups organic half and half
2 cups almond milk
½ cup maple syrup
5 large eggs, separated
1 ½ cups dark rum
1. In a saucepan, combine the half and half and almond milk. Heat, but do not boil! Once hot, turn off the heat.
2. In a mixing bowl, add the maple syrup and egg yolks. Whisk until thick and pale.
3. Whisk 1 cup of the warm half and half-almond milk mixture into the yolk-syrup mixture. Add this back into the saucepan, stirring over low heat until thick and blended. Again turn off the heat.
4. Place the saucepan into a large bowl half-filled with ice water, stirring occasionally until chilled.
5. Pour into a punch bowl and stir in the remaining half and half-almond milk and add the rum.
6. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until the form soft peaks. Fold them into the nog and top with grated nutmeg.